Sunday, March 23, 2008
Here are some pics of DH's Oregon Autumn vest with the armhole edgings done and the steps in crocheting and cutting the front steek. Lots of folks on my Mara_class list haven't done a steek before and they have been very interested in seeing some pictures of the steps involved. So here they are! These were taken with my iPhone, which has a 2MP camera in it, so I hope you can see the details you want to. Enjoy!
Close up of the front steek, the coilless pins mark where DH wants buttons to be, so I know the spacing for the button band.
Beginning to cut the front steek, I'm using some bandage scissors that belonged to my late first MIL, who was an RN here in Salem, trained at Deaconess Hospital. Bandage scissors have a round flattened blunt tip on the bottom blade that helps to open the steek up so you can see exactly where you are cutting. I really recommend getting a good pair of these scissors if you are going to be making Fair Isle sweaters, so much easier to cut steeks open.
A knitting friend took this picture, as she wanted folks to see what it looked like from an observer's angle, lol.
Another picture from the viewer's angle,a little closer.
This picture shows how I take the ends of the yarns and loop them under a strand to keep them out of the way while I work on the front steek. After I cut the steek and knit the front bands, I will go back and tie knots in the ends that are still attached (some get cut when the steek is cut open), cut the ends at a quarter inch length and they will be hidden behind the steek, which will then become a facing.
A view of the steek being cut, the solid blue line on the edge of the cut on the right is the crocheted steek, showing how it finishes the edge.
Showing the partially cut steek with the left edge lifted up.
The steek cut open and ready to pick up the stitches for the front band. Note the groups of yarn ends tucked into stranded yarns to keep them out of my way while I work. The dark blue crocheted steek edge is easily visible in this photo.
The final picture of the vest cut open, next step is to pick up stitches around the front and knit the front bands. I knit the front bands in a circle, casting on nine stitches between the bottom fronts for a steek, which becomes a small facing that is turned under to protect the bottom edge from stretching when the vest is buttoned or unbuttoned.
DH really wants to wear the vest today for our trip to Portland, so I will probably end up steaming the vest to block it a little and do a proper washing and blocking on the wooly board tonight. The buttons may not get sewed on before then, depending on when we leave for Portland. Right now as I write this the time is 7:17 and I think we need to leave about 10 to meet friends and take Mom out, so I have to get to knitting on the front bands, I'm on round 3 of 9, with the buttonholes made on round 6. Wish me luck, I got up at 6 on my day off to work on this for DH!
Posted by Helen B at 6:45 AM
Monday, March 10, 2008
E York is finally done and shipped off! Yea! It will be a long while before I attempt something like it again while having a bunch of other complicated projects on the needles, if ever. Now I'm focusing on DH's Oregon Autumn vest, on which I'm into the armhole and v-neck shaping rounds. So I'm past the halfway point and racing to the finish line on it. I really love how the yarn is knitting up, the colors are gorgeous, even if they don't look the same as the photograph in Vogue and on the VY site. I'm not sure why the printer or photographer chose to use the filter they did, which seriously distorts the colors and gives the impression that the colors are much brighter and lighter than they are in real life. I'm hoping that there will be enough negative comments that VY will put a more accurate pic up to clear up the confusion on the colors. I've been suggesting that folks take the color list from Vogue and look at the colors in the Color Stories section on the VY site to get a better idea of what they actually look like.
Next I'm going to take some pics of Oregon so folks can see how it's looking at this point and get a better idea of what the colors actually look like. One thing that I realized yesterday while knitting on it is that my FI knitting has made a big leap forward in keeping an even tension on the stitches. I'm not sure yet if it's because how balanced the pattern is, the heavier yarns, or just more practice, but I think I am closer to being confident enough to pick up and work on the Marina I bought from a man in Scotland. His knitting is so even and balanced that I've been seriously intimidated to pick it up and start working on it. It's made with the original Scottish Campion yarns and came with a copy of 'This Morning Woolcraft' for the pattern. A friend sent me her corrected version of the charts, as the editor remade the charts and put several errors in it, then didn't send AS a proof copy before it was printed so she could correct the problems. AS was not pleased by being treated that way, and I will closely examine other charts in the book before using any of them. Kaffe Fassett's Foolish Virgins is in there and I am really interested in knitting that sweater, even though it is intarsia.