Okay, final verdict - I like this technique! Here is how it works - after working the front(s) and back down to the bottom of the armhole, pick one sleeve to start with. Place the body in front of you, with the chosen armhole away from you so you can pick up stitches on the right side. Using the needle you have decided on for the body knitting, and starting at the right side of the armhole, pick up the number of stitches on the first side (for me, it was the left front), work across the shoulder strap stitches in pattern, then pick up the number of stitches on the second side. 'The number' being the number of stitches that you want to have on the front and back sides of the sleeve, less the number of stitches in your shoulder strap. Turn, knit back, placing markers for any cable patterns you want to have flanking the shoulder straps. For Ingvold, I chose 4-stitch rope cables turning towards the shoulder strap braid, and single lines of knit stitches on purl back grounds.
Turn, work across 2/3 of the stitches, turn, slip the first stitch and work back. Each row, work one more stitch at the end before turning, slipping the first stitch, and working back. I worked until I had 20 unworked stitches on each side at the bottom of the armhole. Then I finished the row I was on (a right side row) and took pictures to post. Later today I'll join the sleeves into a round and finish knitting them as I usually would. The background stitch I'm using is sand stitch, which is P1 K1 across, ending with a purl 1 next to the K1 edging the rope cable. On the back side, knit across.
Notice that there are no wraps for the stitches, which, to me, makes a much neater looking garment. I've never really been fond of wrapped short rows, never could get them to look as neat as some other teachers'. So this is a perfect technique for me to learn. I can see other applications for it in smaller projects. By slipping the first stitch of each row, it gives a nice slope to the shaping.
Tomorrow the Aran Knitting KAL starts and my project is my St. Enda, to match the one I knit for DH several years ago using the same Cascade 220 yarn in Christmas Red that I used for his. When I was setting up my knitting bag for it, I discovered it that I had knit the shoulder straps for mine at the same time, so I am a little ahead of the curve on this. If anyone is doing this KAL and needs some help, please feel free to ask and I'll be happy to help.
I've been posting pics of some of my current projects to share with you, hope you enjoy looking at them.